#auto insurance quotes
California Car Insurance
California car insurance is required under state law. Learn what average California car insurance rates are for your gender and age based on coverage limits and deductibles, as well as all the details you need to know about car insurance in California.
California car insurance laws require that you must carry at least $15,000 worth of bodily injury liability coverage for anyone you injure, up to $30,000 per accident, and at least $5,000 to cover property damage. This is commonly shown in this format: 15/30/5.
California car insurance requirements
Here are the types of California car insurance you must have:
- Bodily injury liability: Pays, up to your policy limits, for injuries others receive in an accident caused by you or other drivers listed on your policy. You are required to carry a minimum of $15,000 in bodily injury coverage and $30,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability: Covers, up to your limits, damage you cause to other cars or property. You must have a minimum of $5,000 property damage liability coverage.
Here are optional coverages:
- Collision: Pays for damage to your car from an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: Pays to replace stolen cars and for damages to your car from theft, fire, flooding, hail, animal strikes, falling objects and vandalism.
- MedPay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Covers you, your passengers and other authorized drivers of your car who are injured while in your insured vehicle. Both typically also cover you and your family members if you are injured while riding in someone else’s car or if struck by another vehicle while on foot.
- Uninsured motorist/Underinsured motorist: Pays for medical bills, and those of your passengers, if you are hit by a driver who is uninsured. It may also cover lost income and pain and suffering. In cases where the other driver has insurance, but it isn t enough to cover the bills, underinsured motorist bodily injury makes up the difference between his policy limits and yours.
- Rental car: Pays for a rental while your car is being fixed or replaced.
- Towing: Pays for your car to be towed after an accident or breakdown.
California car insurance quotes comparison
If you want to compare car insurance quotes, find out average car insurance rates for your city or town using our tool that shows rates by ZIP code. Enter a ZIP code to see the average premium for the location, as well as the highest and lowest rates from the six major carriers surveyed. This way you can see if your quote is coming in too high and if you should keep shopping or not. You can shop for a policy now by entering your information after clicking on the “Get Quotes Now” banner below.
Cheapest California car insurance rates
If you just buy the minimum liability insurance required under California law (15/30/5), here is what it will cost you, on average, broken down by age and gender, based on data commissioned by CarInsurance.com from Quadrant Information Services: