The online Master of Science in Human Services program provides the foundation for rewarding careers with nonprofit organizations, government, or nongovernmental organizations. Often responsible for working with vulnerable populations, human service professionals may provide direct services, supervise personnel, or administer programs and policies. In addition to these tasks, they must also be adept at conducting assessments, developing service plans and policies, leading interdisciplinary teams, and managing care for at-risk clients.
By allowing students to work and collaborate via the Internet, this master’s degree program makes it easier for working professionals to master skills in a flexible and highly interactive manner. Benefits of this graduate program include: a solid core curriculum, multiple electives, and specializations in such key areas as leadership, organizational communication, and global studies.
This approach allows each student to focus graduate studies in the area that best matches his or her interests and career objectives. Reflecting Northeastern University’s philosophy of practice-oriented education, this online master’s degree includes work-based applications and a capstone service-learning project. designed to let students deepen their knowledge within a chosen specialty.
- Examine the development of human service policies and organizations
- Explore organizational behavior and leadership issues in human service organizations
- Learn how to facilitate community involvement, engage diverse stakeholders in strategic partnerships, and build communities
- Review social policy issues, such as the privatization of welfare, trends in mental health care, the impact of immigration, and the ongoing debates over education and reproductive rights
- Develop a conceptual framework for developing effective employee assistance programs