Online Classes in Sports Management: Distance Learning Options
Sports fans who want to put their passion to work in leadership roles may want to consider studying sports management. A number of schools offer distance learning programs and classes in this field to prepare for potential careers as athletic directors or recreation directors.
Show Me Schools
View popular schools
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Physical Education and Health
- Sport and Fitness Management
- Sports Medicine
Online Sports Management Courses
Below you will find brief descriptions of some classes you might normally find in an online or distance learning sports management program:
- Sport Facility Management: This course will typically address management practices applicable in professional sports arenas, collegiate stadiums, private sports clubs, fitness clubs and school athletic facilities. It can cover the management of ticket sales, marketing, security and customer service.
- Sports Administration: Learn to develop and apply skills in areas of event management, sports marketing, youth sports, community sports programs, budget management and facilities management.
- Ethics in Sports: Topics covered in this course include good sportsmanship, gender equality, sports fan and athlete behaviors, drug use and ethical issues facing those participating in youth programs.
- Legal Issues in Sports: Covers many of the legal aspects of professional sports, such as liability, risk management and legal processes.
- Sports Facility Design: Learn how sports venues are designed with safety for both the athlete and fan in mind.
- Sports Public Relations: In this course, students will study a wide array of PR practices, such as time management and event planning, while focusing on communication skills and crisis management.
- Human Resources in Athletics: This course is designed to teach students to apply business and human resources practices in sport environments. These practices include areas such as personnel management, performance evaluation and recruiting processes.
- Sports Marketing: Students in this course will study marketing in relation to sports management. Sports marketing problems and solutions will be addressed, along with the crafting of an effective marketing plan.
- Sports Revenue: This class explores the various ways sports organizations generate revenue. Traditional methods, such as tax supports and tickets sales, and modern techniques, such as corporate sponsorship and media sales, will be studied.
Online programs in sports management examine the business of sports, from organization to financing. Many schools offer education in this field totally online, including through continuing education courses and certificate programs. Undergraduate and graduate degree programs are also available through distance learning.
Distance learning classes in sports management are typically a combination of self-study and instructor-led courses. Students complete reading assignments, view lectures and participate in class discussions within a virtual classroom environment managed by their schools. Discussion boards, Web conferencing and chat rooms are some of the typical ways that distance learners and instructors communicate online. Some programs may have on-site requirements through practicum experiences or internships.
Offered by many four-year universities and colleges, online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in this field are designed to give students the business, financial and legal knowledge needed to serve in managerial roles within sports organizations. Admission requirements vary, but those desiring to take graduate-level courses must have a bachelor’s degree to be eligible. Relevant experience and interviews may also be used to make enrollment decisions.
Online courses related to sports management are available at both undergraduate and graduate program levels. Courses may cover topics such as public relations, human resources, ethics and facility management.
Next: View Schools
Some of the best schools in the country offer sport management programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Read extended.
Sports are big business in the United States, serving as prime entertainment and a large revenue generator that takes the.
Chicago has about six schools with programs in sports management. Find the best program for you by reading about schools’.
Associate of Business Science in Sports Management degree programs are rare, but most schools offer an Associate of Science in.